Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Siena & Florence Part II

From Siena to Florence, we took a bus. The landscaping, the hills, the farms: Tuscany is fabulous. I just wanted to sit on the side of the road and gaze into the hillside. Nature is fascinating there!

Arriving to Florence, we went to the hostel, and then went into the "Giardino Bardini". It was behind the Pitti Palace. The gardens were, forgive me for the consistent re-use of the word, beautiful! It was basically a gigantic backyard, with paths, trees, fountains, flowers, and excellent views of the city. I want to go back to Florence, if I can, in April before I go home and I want to have one more peak of the garden, when it is more of a flower season. Nonetheless, the statues, fountains, and hidden paths were more than enough to make one say "wow!"

Following the Gardens, Catherine and I went into the Uffizi museum. Awesome! As most of you reading probably know, I am a fool for Icons. Well, this museum was stacked with them. Some of them were huge--the size of walls, doors, etc. However, one thought that I had while I was in this museum led me to think of G.K. Chesterton's Orthodoxy. In this text, he says that decoration is for the beautiful. (I.e., you do not decorate trash, rather you decorate that which is already beautiful.) I thought of this because while in the museum and looking at so much incredible pieces of artwork, the rooms were still quite empty--something was missing. Art--decoration--is meant for the beautiful. I am primarily thinking of Churches, the sacred edifices that house God, and are the place for the Divine Liturgy. Yet, I am also thinking of homes, of places of study, etc. Art is to decorate and complement that which is already beautiful. 

Next: a little bit of shopping, which was followed by a tasty dinner. After dinner, we walked back to the hostel, and then walked around the town for a little longer.

Sunday began with a Cappuccino:
[Note: For the record, everything in Italy is beautiful. I have taken multiple pictures of my cappuccini. They serve them so perfectly here. Furthermore, the gelato in the many gelaterie, are presented in the windows so beautifully--they are mini sculptures in themselves.]

After my tasty, Italian breakfast, we did a walk through the Academy, another museum. It is home to the great "David" by Michelangelo. Walking through the museum, I was, once again, mesmerized by the genius of the many artists. An awesome moment, however, was when I turned the corner from one room, looked up, and saw straight ahead of me the "David". I have always heard people exclaim how fascinating the "David" is, but you have to see it for yourself to really understand its brilliance. Truly, it is a masterpiece. I said to one of my friends, "Michelangelo was a genius". The giant structure, in my eyes, has been unmatched by modern attempts at sculpture. Beautiful! 

Also in this museum were many icons. I saw one of a depiction of S. Bonaventure's "Tree of Life", which put me in the mood to read this theological poem. Again, many of the icons were great in size. One thing that is particularly interesting about them is that many of the artists seemed to incorporate the frame into the picture, such that the frame really was a part of the picture's story and meaning. It was fascinating.

Following the Academy, we went to Mass in the Cathedral. It was in Latin! I was so happy. It was great to see the language of the universal Church being used to celebrate the Mass. I thought it a shame that I, and many others, are not better versed in Latin, namely, "Mass Latin" (if you will). It is the official tongue of the Church. To think the Liturgy has lost much of its universality is quite sad. I am not proposing that everything be said in Latin, but it is beneficial when there is a serious, legitimate network of universality present in the Mass. I was blessed to have known the Latin I did know, allowing me to participate in a Mass half-way across the world! Moreover, much of the singing was Gregorian Chant. They must have known I was coming. :)




After Mass, we went shopping. All I can say is that if I ever went to Florence with Marisa, I would have to hitchhike home, because I'd be dirt broke. Love you sis! But wow, call me a girl I don't care: the shopping in Florence is awesome! I did not buy as much as I would have liked--but, like I said earlier, I hope I can go back! I bought a really cool pair of casual shoes that are soft leather. Then, I went into a leather store with Catherine and Liz whose sister-in-law used to work at. The owner of the store was way too nice, and offered us ginormous discounts. I took advantage and bought a freaking sweet leather jacket. They might offer me a role in the next Godfather. Fine by me.

Catherine also bought a leather jacket, and she looks smokin' in it! Just thought I'd throw that one in.

Headed home on the train, and went to bed shortly after. Pax et bonum!




(I'm sorry I am not posting more pictures! The internet here is really bad, and I am still having trouble with Shutterfly. There is so much that I wish you all could see!)

2 comments:

  1. awesome!!!! so true about shopping with mees! she would destroy are bank accounts. lol. i love the pics but start posting some of people. i want to see the people and how they look dress and their expressions on their face. lol!! cant wait to see what you got shopping. i loved the pics catherine took. they are awesome. love you soo much keep having fun and enjoying yourself and the company you are with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this was such an awesome trip... and the jackets definitely didn't hurt :) you look smokin' in yours, boy!

    -catherine

    ReplyDelete